What’s that dangly bit called?

No, really. I’ve been asked this more than once in my career.

It’s usually one of two anatomical components I’m being asked to name. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Stop it! I work in neurology, not urology.

Here are some pictures of the dangly bits.

One dangly bit
Sort of dangly bit, more ‘leaf-shaped’ really

Do you know what they are and what they’re for?

The first one is the uvula. Believe it or not, this helps stop food and drink entering your nasal passages along with the soft palate (velum). Some people also use it when they speak. It sounds like this.

Voiced uvular trill (half-speed)

The other one also stops food and drink going the wrong way. This time, it stops it entering the airway rather than into the nasal passages. It’s called the epiglottis. Some say it’s ‘leaf-shaped’.

When you swallow, your vocal cords are closed and the epiglottis covers the airway. This is why you must hold your breath when you swallow. You can’t breath in when your airway is closed off at the epiglottis and the vocal cords.

You can see in the below illustration where you find these dangly bits.

Uvula and epiglottis in situ

So the next time you take a drink or have a bite to eat, consider how you’re breathing changes. Your nasal passages are closed off and so is your airway.

Clever, huh?

Published by Sandra Robinson

Independent Speech and Language Therapist. Specialist Dysphagia Practitioner.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: